Home » Uncategorized
Category Archives: Uncategorized
In what ways was the election of 1912 significant?
The 1912 presidential campaign involved four candidates: Theodore Roosevelt as a Progressive, Eugene Debs run as a Socilialist, Wison and Taft represented two major parties. They all shared a fundamental presumption that the old idea of do-nothing government was bankrupt; present day conditions required dynamic measures to advance the general welfare. However, they contrasted in the nature and degree of their activism. After the Republicans renominated Taft, Roosevelt’s supporters shot the tradition, formed the Progressive party, and designated Roosevelt. Albeit some Democratic progressives bolstered Roosevelt, the split in the Republican party prompted Woodrow Wilson’s success. Having won a larger part in both places of congress and additionally the presidential election, the Democrats viably held national power surprisingly since the Civil War.
The 1912 election was important in four main ways: First, it was a high-water mark for Progressivism. In fact, the election was the first to include presidential primaries. The election brought fundamental changes in American politics suggesting the historical significance of the Progressive Party. High percentage of the the popular vote or as many electoral votes received by the third party on the American political scene in the 20th century was recognized as an extraordinary. Neither before nor after 1912, no third party for the presidency gained that large number of supporters and votes; Second, the election gave Democrats effective national power for the first time since the Civil War. Wilson’s winning in the election made Democrats became the majority in both the House of Representatives and the Senate. Holding such a stable power in the house and senate, Democrats proved their ability to stand up from the fallen of power during the severe depression of the 1890s.
Third, the election of Wilson brought southerness back into the circle of national and international affairs in a significant way for the first time since the Civil War. During Wilson’s presidency, the name of the southerners had having its good reputation along with the Progressive legislation. Moreover, Five of Wilson’s ten cabinet members were born in the South, three still resided there, and William Jennings Bryan, the secretary of state, was an idol of the southern masses. Fourth, the election of 1912 had begun to alter the character of the Republican party. Although majority of professionals remained, the the defection of the Bull Moose Progressives had weakened the party’s progressive wing. The leaders of the Republican party that would return to power in the 1920s would be more conservative in tone and temperament. (Tindall, 2007).
The Election of 1912. (n.d.). Retrieved June 20, 2017, from http://www.ushistory.org/us/43f.asp
Tindall, G. B., & Shi, D. E. (2007). America: a narrative history. New York: W.W. Norton & Co.
Why the Election of 1912 Changed America. (n.d.). Retrieved June 20, 2017, from http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/why-the-election-of-1912-changed-america/
What is Entrepreneurship?
- The concept of entrepreneurship was first established in the 1700s
- Starting one’s own business
- One who is willing to bear the risk of a new venture if there is a significant chance for profit
- An innovator who markets his innovation
- Entrepreneurs develop new goods of processes that the market demands and are not currently being supplied
- Economist Joseph Schumpeter (1883 – 1950) viewed entrepreneurship as a force of “creative destruction”
- The entrepreneur carries out “new combinations” thereby helping render old industries obsolete
- Established ways of doing business are destroyed by the creation of new and better ways to do them
- Peter Drucker (1909 – 2005) – the entrepreneur is someone who actually searches for change, responds to it, and exploit change as an opportunity
- Changes in communications – from typewriters to personal computers to the internet – illustrates these ideas
- Entrepreneurship is a necessary ingredient for stimulating economic growth and employment opportunities in all societies
- In the developing world, successful small businesses are the primary engines of job creation, income growth, and poverty reduction
- Government support for entrepreneurship is a crucial strategy for economic development
- Small businesses represent 99.7% of all employer firms (U:S. Small Business Administration (SBA)).
- Since 1996, small businesses have generated 64% of new jobs
- “Policies to foster entrepreneurship are essential to job creation and economic growth.” (Business and Industry Advisory Committees to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), 2003)
- Laws to en-force property fights and to encourage a competitive market system
- Culture’s influence on entrepreneurship
What Makes Someone an Entrepreneur?
- Who can become an entrepreneur?
- Most successful entrepreneurs share certain personal attributes including creativity, dedication, determination, flexibility, leadership, passion, and confidence.
- Creativity – the spark that drives the development of new products or services or ways to do business
- Push for innovation and improvement
- Continuous learning, questioning, and thinking “outside the box.”
- Dedication – motivates the entrepreneur to work hard (long hours, especially at the beginning)
- Planning and ideas must be joined by hard work
- Dedication makes it happen
- Determination – the extremely strong desire to achieve success
- Bounce back after failure
- Money is not the motivation
- Success is the motivator, money is the reward
- Flexibility – the ability to move quickly in response to charging market needs
- Being true in dream, being mindful of market realities
- Adapt to market changes and needs
- Leadership – the ability to create rules and to set goals
- capacity to follow through to see that the rules are followed and goals are accomplished
- Lead by examples (don’t expect others to do what you are not willing to do)
- Passion – what gets entrepreneurs started and keeps them there
- The ability to convince others to believe in their vision
- Not a substitute for planning
- Stay focused
- Self Confidence – through planning which reduces uncertainty and the level of risk
- Comes from expertise
- Gives the ability to listen without being easily swayed or intimidated
- Smart – common sense joined with knowledge or experience in a related business or endeavor
- Common sense = good instinct
- Knowledge = expertise
- Organizational and financial skills
- Employment and with it economic growth?
Things to Think
- What do you think machine that can easier your life?
- Why and how do people become entrepreneurs?
- Why is entrepreneurship beneficial to an economy?
- How can governments encourage entrepreneurship?
DeShire Hairdressing Game Concept
In this week, I make a concept for building my game based on the website and mobile application I made before. The topic is Deshire Hairdressing Game. Background of the chosen topic is to offer more interactivity in the game which includes: hairstyling and dressing (clothes and apparels) related to my website and mobile app.
Based on the target audience, the theme I picked is girly fashion in contemporary style. I plan to make the clothes and apparel fit to the four main scene:
- 14 December, Laura is having birthday party in her house
- 21 December, Laura attends wedding party in Java, Indonesia
- 25 December, Laura celebrates Xmas in Singapore
- 31 December, Laura hangs out for New Year in Japan
The logic game will make the player to hairdressing Laura based on the date. The more match the dress the higher points player will get. For perfect dress, player will get 100 points. After pass the level, the player will be levelling up and unlock the locked items. Besides, the player can get extra 25 points for sharing its result to social media.